In the community where you will be teaching your presence is invaluable. Classrooms are often overcrowded and teachers need enthusiastic volunteers like you to ease their workload, give the children some extra attention and more exposure to spoken English. You may be teaching with fellow volunteers, assisting local Thai teachers or occasionally teaching your own classes.
You will also be required to practise English with the wider community, providing them with the language skills to be able to take advantage of the increase in tourism in the area.
Our goal is to help our local partner communities develop by providing the children with the necessary skills for improving their future opportunities, all while highlighting the importance in preserving and appreciating the fascinating culture.
How this project makes a difference:
GVI works directly with local schools to provide hardworking English teachers for the Thai children. Because of the growth of tourism in the area, English teachers are in great demand. Most good jobs are in the tourism industry and require conversational English skills and by providing these kids with English education, they will have the opportunity to improve their futures and break the cycle of poverty.
*During school holidays and national holidays and festivals participants may take part in other activities such as joining in village/local festivities and activities, running holiday camps for students, educational workshops in the community, or English class for adults. There may be opportunity to assist with work related to other project focuses
Phang Nga short, mid, and long-term objectives
All of our programs have short, mid and long-term objectives that fit with the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals. This enables us to report on our collaborative impact across the world in a streamlined manner, measuring which UN SDGs we are making a substantial contribution to. Furthermore, this will help our local partners and communities measure and visualize their contribution to the UN SDGs.Upon arrival to base, you will be educated about the history of the UN SDGs. You will learn about the specific goals of your location, the long-, mid- and short-term objectives, and also clarification of how your personal, shorter-term involvement contributes to these goals on a global level.Our aim is to educate you on local and global issues, so that you continue to act as active global citizens after your program, helping to fulfil our mission of building a global network of people united by their passion to make a difference.
Learn about the long-term objectives you will be contributing to in Phang Nga:
1. To provide equal, quality education to children of all backgrounds.
2. To Promote Good Health and Wellbeing through education to all children
3. .Increase skills for local people to assist with equal employment opportunities in our communities within Takuapa and Ban Nham Khem
4. Increase awareness of local populations to environmental issues and facilitate change towards sustainability through scientific studies.
5. Increase our in-country capacity by providing environmental and conservation education and training
6. To assist and develop local coastal conservation efforts through providing practical support to project partners, data collection, awareness raising and habitat restoration