Adventure travel with 360 degree support
Adventure travel is a form of tourism that sometimes involves risk-taking activities. This can include jungle exploration, scuba diving and wildlife expeditions. Travelling is for everyone, but adventure travelling is for those with an extra daring streak.
Adventure travelling often requires you to exert yourself physically, which shouldn’t be a problem if that’s what you’re looking for! Travel adventures may also require certain skills that you might not have yet, such as scuba diving.
The best way to go about this is to join people who do have the skills to guide you on your adventure to make sure you have the highest level of safety and support. You can experience an amazing adventure around the world and stay safe while the adrenaline is pumping, by joining one of GVI’s volunteer programs.
Bring meaning to your adventure travel
If you are interested in going on an adventure and making a positive impact on the world at the same time, why not volunteer? GVI runs collaborative development-based programs in 21 locations, across 13 countries around the globe.
Making an impact is one of the most thrilling experiences of all! You will also have peace of mind with GVI’s support system.
Safe and impactful adventuring doesn’t mean you lose the thrill. It just means you get to enjoy the thrill while staying safe and making an impact.
How will I be safe?
If you’re going on a travel adventure, you want to have fun and be inspired. You also want to be safe while having fun, right? There are a few things to consider.
Besides taking precautions that minimise your risk of injury on a hike, and double-checking that you have all your equipment for diving, what else can you do to ensure you’re being as safe as possible?
You can go on a great adventure and rest assured that safety is a high priority. Here are some of the ways we ensure that.
- GVI has health and safety policies and risk assessments at every location.
- We have a 24-hour emergency line that makes our trained staff available to you at all times.
- We hold close contact with all embassies and foreign office contact centres.
- An emergency first response-trained staff member will be available at each location, and participants will also receive emergency first response (EFR) training.
- Staff are fully trained in the Child and Vulnerable Adult Protection Policy.
- We have a WhatsApp group set up for all flight arrivals.
- We fulfil all the British standard 8848 requirements, which ensures the highest quality of health and safety for adventure activities abroad.
What support will I get?
No matter what kind of program you choose, support will be available. The first step is making that choice.
Choosing a location might seem easy if you know what you are looking for. If you want to hike, choose a mountain. If you want to dive deep, choose an ocean.
But what about the resources you will need, like medical support, equipment and skills? It’s possible that your travel experience may be less enjoyable if you don’t have these things.
GVI offers all participants 360-degree support. You will be guided from the moment you meet the team, to the moment you join us out on the field or in the waters for a dive, with certified PADI instructors and beautiful marine life.
Here’s how we’ll support you:
- We have amazing, passionate and inspirational staff to be alongside you on your adventure.
- We have on-the-ground staff who live in the locations you visit and know the areas well!
- 60% of staff are alumni, which means they’ve trained and worked with us before and are highly-qualified leaders.
- Participants are grouped, with a qualified staff member assigned to each group.
- Our staff are field experts who will guide you all the way.
Find out more about our safety and support system and join a program where you can have an amazing adventure while making an impact.
Zaytoen Domingo is an intern at the GVI Writing Academy. The Writing Academy is a skills-development program that pairs development editors with budding travel writers. Learn more about the program here.
- Cape Coast
- Cape Town
- Chiang Mai
- Community Development
- Fiji Islands
- Gap Year
- GVI Live
- Kampong Cham
- Limpopo and KZN
- Luang Prabang
- Mahe and Curieuse
- Marine Conservation
- Personal Development
- Phang Nga
- Responsible Travel
- Service Learning
- Study Abroad
- Under 18
- Wildlife Conservation
- Women's Empowerment